Thursday, April 14, 2011

Udupi South Indian Cuisine

It's not often that I have the opportunity to make it out to the Parma area, perhaps some of you are thinking "why would you?", but with as much criticism that comes with Parma, one also has to account for the great local flavor it has to offer. I love Indian cuisine! So you can imagine my excitement when I came across Udupi Cafe tucked in a small strip mall along the likes of a Goodwill and Indian Grocery Store. When I initially pulled in I was craving Tandoori Chicken, but to my surprise Udupi only offers vegetarian dishes. Tandoori, although found throughout India, is traditionally more or a Northwestern dish, Udupi offers Southern traditional flavors. I must say that if you do decide to treat yourself to Udupi, you need to keep in mind that the place is nothing marvel. The exterior along with the interior is pretty much lackluster aside from the banquet seating and Ganesh shrine at the entrance. But if you came to eat, then keep your opinions to that! I suggest ordering an appetizer to start. You can get an appetizer combo plate, which will allow you to get a feel for the different kinds of street-like food. Might I suggest Medhu Vada, which are like spicy Indian donuts- delish! For the main course I got Uthappam and Masala Dosai. As you can see, they're huge portions- spicy and delectable! The Uthappam is comparable to a blown up potato pancake with vegetables inside. The Masala Dosai has a crunchy outside that is folded over and contains potatoes (like this one) or whatever the description says- lentils, veggies, etc. Both come with a yogurt like sauce and a spicy broth for dipping. The overall experience is good. You won't pay more than $10 for a meal, the appetizers and cheap, and if you know a vegetarian it is a real treat to take them somewhere they will have no problem finding something on the menu they will like. Like I said, the appearance is a little drab, so I don't suggest it for a first date or if you're trying to impress someone, but if you're in the mood for some good Indian cuisine, great service and perhaps a Bollywood music channel playing on one of the t.v.'s then this if your ultimate low-key stop to great South Indian cuisine.
Uthappam (above)
Masala Dosai (below)

1 comment:

  1. I love Indian food and now I want to go here. I love lackluster places.

    ReplyDelete